web analytics
Eating in Trastevere, Avoiding Tourist Traps. Some Good Restaurant Tips

Eating in Trastevere, Avoiding Tourist Traps. Some Good Restaurant Tips

Anybody heading to Rome has to visit Trastevere, the place where the Romans go to eat, people watch and enjoy ice cream.
Below are eight places that I would recommend – You can book a table in some whereas for others you will have to wait in line … remember the best place often have queues.

Ai Fienaroli

7, via dei Fienaroli, +3906 583 347 51

A very nice restaurant with a medium priced menu, they have very friendly staff who even coped well when I took a group of 14 drunken English and Irish people just before my wedding. I have eaten here more than five times would recommend visiting especially for the wonderful antipasto misto.

Popi Popi

45, Via delle Fratte di Trastevere +3906 58 95 167

An excellent option for people with a lower budget, you can get decent antipasta and very good pastas at affordable rates. It is a large restaurant where you can often get a seat especially before 8pm. The staff are very friendly and happy to speak English or Italian to their customers.

Ivo A Trastevere

158, Via di San Francesco a Ripa, +3906 58 170 82

I class this as the best pizza restaurant in Trastevere, they serve an incredible range of pizzas. My friend even had a brie and salmon one which she said was delicious. This place really is pizza heaven, the only problem is trying to decide which one to have.

Trattoria Da Lucia

2, Vicolo del Mattonato, +3906 58 036 01

My favourite restaurant in Rome, it is owned by a famous ex-boxer and family run. There are pictures are up on the wall of the owners boxing past. A very traditional place to eat, in the summer you can sit outside. This is always our choice for our first and last meal when we visit Rome, two excellent pasta dishes are “Cacio e Pepe and Penne Alla Gricia”.

Da Giovanni

41a, Via Della Lungara

This restaurant is on the outskirts of Trastevere, a bottle of house wine is only six Euro and very good. If you try this place out, be sure to get there early as it fills up quickly. It is a very simple restaurant, the waiter has perfect English if you cannot speak Italian. As the night goes the menu gets smaller and smaller as the food runs out.

Isole di Sicilia

68/69 Via Garibaldi, +3906 58 334 212

An excellent Sicilian restaurant where the portions are huge, it is a little more expensive than most restaurants in the area but is well worth it. Having visited Sicily, we thought we would give it a go and were very impressed. The fish and Nero d’Avola were excellent, it gets very busy and would be worth booking a table to avoid disappointment.

Antica Pesa

18, Via Garibaldi, +39065809236

This restaurant is high end, and you have to book to have any chance of getting a table. The menu boasts a wide range of dishes that you are unlikely to find anywhere else in Trastevere. The décor is very impressive and if you are there in summer make sure you reserve a table in the wonderful garden.

Fior Di Luna

Via Della Lungaretta

No list would be complete without recommending a gelateria, in the main square you will find Blue Ice which is part of a chain. Personally I would go back towards Viale Trastevere and on your left you will see Fior Di Luna – They sell the most amazing organic ice cream.

By Scott Balaam

The best time of the year to visit Trastevere is July, discover why in this post.

124 comments

• Nice read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. And he actually bought me lunch as I found it for him smile Thus let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

• I like what you guys are up too. Such intelligent work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my web site :).

• I’m amazed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and interesting, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The problem is an issue that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy I found this in my hunt for something regarding this.

• Thanks for your marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you could be
    a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and will
    eventually come back from now on. I want to encourage you to continue your great
    writing, have a nice weekend!

• Hiya, I am really glad I have found this information. Nowadays bloggers publish only about gossips and net and this is actually irritating. A good site with exciting content, that is what I need. Thanks for keeping this web-site, I will be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Cant find it.

• These days of austerity and also relative panic about having debt, some people balk up against the idea of making use of a credit card to make acquisition of merchandise as well as pay for a holiday, preferring, instead to rely on the tried in addition to trusted method of making settlement – hard cash. However, if you possess the cash on hand to make the purchase completely, then, paradoxically, this is the best time to be able to use the cards for several reasons.

• By way of introduction, I am Mark Schaefer with Nutritional Products International (nutricompany.com). We serve international and domestic manufacturers seeking to gain more distribution within the United States. Your brand recently caught my attention, so I am contacting you to discuss the possibility of expanding your distribution reach. We provide expertise in all areas of distribution, and our offerings include the following: * Rapid entry into the U.S. market. * Purchase Orders * FDA Regulatory Compliance * Active accounts with major U.S. distributors and retailers. * Our proven sales force has public relations, branding and marketing all under one roof. We maintain active business relationships with over 200,000 distribution outlets across the nation, and we have a direct line of contact with executive-level buyers. Our company has a proven history of initiating accounts and placing orders with major distribution outlets. Our history allows us to have intimate and unique relationships with key buyers across the United States thus giving your brand a fast track to market in a professional manner. Please contact me directly at 561-544-0719 or by replying, so we can discuss your brand further. Kind Regards, Mark Schaefer, Director Of Global Procurement, Nutritional Products International, 101 Plaza Real S, Boca Raton, FL 33432, Office: 561-544-0719