web analytics
Carnival in Rome, Equestrian event or ancient festival?

Carnival in Rome, Equestrian event or ancient festival?

The city of Rome has organized for the fifth year the “Carnevale Romano” which will mostly take place downtown between February 2 and the 12th and will hinge on the key feature of the Roman carnival: horses. [1]

Maybe too much horse-centric, we dare to say. The impression is that it is an equestrian event rather than a proper carnival. Horses and horse shows are everywhere, anytime. The two European sister cities of 2013,  Cordoba in Spain and Marseille in France were chosen for their equestrian tradition. We are rather confused….

We know that horses have been at the center of the Roman carnival feast for centuries. At least since when in the second half of the 15th century a Venetian pope, Paul II, wanted them to run along via del Corso (corsa means race in Italian), because that’s how it was celebrated in Venice. Actually Via del Corso was built exactly for this purpose: the Carnival horse race! An accident that killed one person interrupted the official celebrations of the Roman carnival in 1874 until when a few years ago they were re-introduced.

Last year, 800,000 people attended the Rome Carnival’s event which was the most popular equestrian event in Europe [2].

Rugantino, Meo Patacca, Cassandrino, Gaetanaccio, Don Pasquale, general La Rocca. These are all Roman Carnival characters and thanks to the contribution of the Rome Opera theatre you will be able to see countless ancient costumes in downtown Rome. Teatro dell’Opera di Roma, indeed, owns 70,000 historical costumes, carefully preserved in its stores near the Circus Maximus.

Here are a few photos of previous editions. [3]

And this is our story on the best Carnival sweets in Rome, frappe and castagnole, and where you can buy them.

These are some selected events:

The opening parade will start at 3:30pm on the 2nd and will feature more than a hundred walk-ons, artists, actors, coaches and historical group members

The show “ Rome horses” will take place in piazza del Popolo  on February 2-7. This round square will also host the Spanish horse show “Cordoba equestre” on February 8, 9, 10 and 12. The French performance, “Animalglyphe,” will be on February 9 followed by another horse happening involving local animals – butteri.

Italy’s military cavalry will also entertain the public with several shows: this one on the very last day seems the most promising. [4]

Luckily there is something more than horses…. Carnival-inspired Comedy of Art will delight the crowd in Piazza Navona, where it was played until the middle of the 18th century. Yorick, Hamlet’s joker, will be the special guest of this comic theatre festival that will take place throughout the whole Carnival period.

Last but not least the baroque fireworks from the Pincio terrace on February 12 at 7:30pm. [5]

[1] http://en.carnevale.roma.it/

[2]http://www.060608.it/en/eventi-e-spettacoli/manifestazioni/carnevale-romano-2013.html

[3] http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150580065139601.390295.544754600&type=3

[4] http://en.carnevale.roma.it/contenitore-eventi/Eventi/La-grande-storia-della-Cavalleria-militare-italiana-il-4-Reggimento-Carabinieri-a-cavallo

[5] http://en.carnevale.roma.it/contenitore-eventi/Eventi/Fuochi-d-artificio-barocchi-romani-Sole-a-vista-del-Mastro-Elpido-Benedetti

76 comments

• I’m no longer certain the place you’re getting your info, however great topic. I must spend some time finding out more or working out more. Thanks for wonderful information I was looking for this info for my mission.

• What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to contribute & help different users like its helped me. Great job.

• I was very pleased to uncover this website. I need to to thank you for ones time for this particularly wonderful read!! I definitely enjoyed every part of it and I have you book-marked to see new stuff in your site.

• By way of introduction, I am Mark Schaefer with Nutritional Products International (nutricompany.com). We serve international and domestic manufacturers seeking to gain more distribution within the United States. Your brand recently caught my attention, so I am contacting you to discuss the possibility of expanding your distribution reach. We provide expertise in all areas of distribution, and our offerings include the following: * Rapid entry into the U.S. market. * Purchase Orders * FDA Regulatory Compliance * Active accounts with major U.S. distributors and retailers. * Our proven sales force has public relations, branding and marketing all under one roof. We maintain active business relationships with over 200,000 distribution outlets across the nation, and we have a direct line of contact with executive-level buyers. Our company has a proven history of initiating accounts and placing orders with major distribution outlets. Our history allows us to have intimate and unique relationships with key buyers across the United States thus giving your brand a fast track to market in a professional manner. Please contact me directly at 561-544-0719 or by replying, so we can discuss your brand further. Kind Regards, Mark Schaefer, Director Of Global Procurement, Nutritional Products International, 101 Plaza Real S, Boca Raton, FL 33432, Office: 561-544-0719

• magnificent post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector don’t notice this. You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you have a great readers’ base already!

• Needed to draft you this bit of word to help say thanks a lot yet again just for the superb tricks you’ve featured above. It is unbelievably generous with you to provide unreservedly what exactly a few people would have marketed as an electronic book to help make some bucks for themselves, mostly seeing that you could have tried it if you ever considered necessary. Those good tips as well served to become a great way to fully grasp someone else have the same eagerness just like my own to learn many more concerning this matter. I’m certain there are thousands of more fun moments up front for many who read your site.

• Spot on with this write-up, I seriously feel this amazing site needs a lot more attention. I’ll probably be returning to read through more, thanks for the info!

• Hi! I could have sworn I’ve been to this blog before but after checking through some of the post I realized it’s new to me. Anyhow, I’m definitely glad I found it and I’ll be bookmarking and checking back often!

• Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do some research on this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more from this post. I am very glad to see such magnificent info being shared freely out there.

• The very next time I read a blog, Hopefully it doesn’t fail me as much as this particular one. After all, I know it was my choice to read, but I really thought you would probably have something helpful to talk about. All I hear is a bunch of moaning about something that you can fix if you weren’t too busy looking for attention.